Have epithelial dysplasia under tongue. What is it?

what is epithelial dysplasia I have under my tongue?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
abnormal changes in the cells in the mouth

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Epithelial cells are cells that line the cavities in the body such as the mouth. They enclose and protect the organs of the body and the XXXXXXX surfaces.

Dysplasia refers to abnormal changes or development of a particular area, in this case the epithelial cells under the tongue.

There is a grading system that is used to classify oral epithelial dysplasia. This system grades the changes from (1) hyperplasia (means thickening or increase in the number cells or tissue) , (2) mild, (3)moderate, (4) severe (5) carcinoma in situ (changes may be spreading).

There is a risk of progression to cancer. The rate of progression is 5 to 18%. There are different factors that affect the chance of progression.

The main suggested treatment is the excision or removal of the area by scalp or laser.
If there are any issues that may complicate removal then medication may be suggested that may or may not reduce the progression to cancer (more studies are still needed on these).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions