Have epilepsy. Taking medicine has affected memory. Why should I consult physiotherapist?

Question
hi i have epilepsy (had it since I have been an infant). We don't how I received it? Anyway As I got older it became worse (I get petit-mal seizures). My prescriptions have been increased which has affected my memory (even writing this blog) along with getting alot of tremors/migrains. I have not been able to get a job (or do what I used to do and love - accounting). I am now trying to apply for disability - question why are they asking me to see a phycotherapist? I see a Neurologist all the time for many years ... whats the difference?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

Let me address your problem as follows

1. Persons with epilepsy have other issues in addition to epilepsy also. These are memory problem, job related issues, psychosocial problems. In comprehensive epilepsy care centers, these patients are cared not only by Epileptologist (Neurologist who receive advanced training in epilepsy), but also by occupational therapist, clinical psychologist and if needed by physiotherapist. Person with epilepsy should be dealt as a whole rather than simple office visit to a neurologist and changing the medicines. I hope this will help you understand why they might have told you to do so.

2. The aim of treatment of any epilepsy patient is to reduce the number of seizures with less or no side effects of medicines. Further, one must try to know if this epilepsy can be cured by surgery or not. If so, medications may be reduced or even be withdrawn after surgery also. This will decrease side effects like memory problem, tremor etc.

3. My sincere advice for your personal benefit will be get re-evaluated by a Epileptologist rather than general neurologist who will address all these issues.

Hope this helps
Please get back to me in case you have any other concern

Dr Gopal K Dash
Consultant Epileptologist XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore, India

Follow-up: Have epilepsy. Taking medicine has affected memory. Why should I consult physiotherapist? 1 hour later
I realize there's many surgeries out there available but with a risk that you will not come out better. In my case I had MRI's EEG's in the past and they were not able to locate where my seizures occur in my brain! I do agree if there is a better medication for a patient to take (and in a lesser amount) it's a blessing.
But again I don't understand how (Dept of Disability) beleives a phycotherapist could make a determination over (1 office visit) versus a Neurologist who has known me and my health record for years. I have no idea what questions what will be asked by a phycotherapist-never been to one and why did they chose a phychotherpist instead of another Neurolgist for a second opinion??

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 minutes later

I understand your concern

Please undergo the test and then you will realize the difference

Best wishes

Follow-up: Have epilepsy. Taking medicine has affected memory. Why should I consult physiotherapist? 21 minutes later
this is where i am confused with your response " to just undergo with the test and I will realize the difference"??

Doctor please explain in black and white what tests are you implying the phycotherapist will be initiating?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 28 minutes later

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY HAVE TOLD YOU TO XXXXXXX A PSYCHOLOGIST NOT PHYCOTHERAPIST. PLEASE CHECK THE SPELL IN YOUR FILE.

I AM READY TO HELP YOU

PLEASE STAY RELAXED

BEST WISHES

Follow-up: Have epilepsy. Taking medicine has affected memory. Why should I consult physiotherapist? 6 minutes later
A psychotherapist...... not a Psychologist

So what is the difference and what will I be asked by the psychotherapist

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 minutes later

A psychotherapist will initially ask you questions which will test your memory functions, higher brain functions and social and other skills. These are not routinely done by neurologist in office visit. He will then guide you regarding the treatment which he feels will help you

Best wishes

Follow-up: Have epilepsy. Taking medicine has affected memory. Why should I consult physiotherapist? 12 minutes later
so this is basically a doctor the state is providing on their part to check me out (due to my epilepsy). I have no issue hearing what they have to say that could help me ossibly out.
As per making a decision on what treatment I will need- I would have to get a second opinion and also need to discuss this by a Neurologist that I have been seeing for over 30 years what the Psychotherapist determined .

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 6 hours later
Thanks for the fed back

I agree with your views.

All the best