Have epilepsy. Pain in arm with tingling sensation in hands and fingers. Taking tramadol. What's wrong?

Nov 2013

I wonder if you can help me please. For about two weeks now I have had extreme pain in my arms and tingling in my hands and fingers at night, the pain has kept me awake at night and I have not been able to get comfortable, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 14 years ago, I also have epilepsy and a benign essential tremor but this is not like anything I have ever had before, today I started to get electric shock like pain in one of my arms when straightening my arm and the pain and tingling has in the last couple of days begun to be throughout the day and night. I already take Tramadol 200mg MR twice a day, and propranolol for the tremor, I am unable to use NSAIDs. Please can you advise me as to what this might be? And/or what to do about it. Thank you. XXXXXXX.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

There are two possibilities to explain your symptoms:

1. Carpal tunnel syndrome- in this condition, median nerve (a nerve in arms and hands) is compressed at the level of wrists, resulting in pain, tingling and numbness of hands and arms, which are worse at nights.

2. Cervical disc disease with nerve compression at the level of neck- in this condition, there is pain in the neck and radiating pain in arms and fingers.

Proper diagnosis would require evaluation by a neurologist. He may order for MRI cervical spine and nerve conduction studies.

Both these conditions are well treatable and there is no need to worry. As of now, for symptom relief, you may take pregabalin or gabapentin capsules.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist