Have epididymitis. Taking antibiotic. Not cured. Looking for effective remedy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello I have epididymitis since 4 months now and having been taking antibiotics, but it hasn't gone completely. So was wondering does epididymitis eventually burn itself out. If so generally how long does it take.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 hours later
Hello

Based on the facts that you have posted you have Epididymitis since last four months and you have been taking antibiotics, but it has not resolved completely.

Normally it takes six weeks for simple bacterial Epididymitis to get cured. However since it has not resolved even after taking antibiotics for four months, we need to rule out chronic condition such as the tubercular epididymitis.

If I were your treating doctor, I would get the following test done to exclude my suspicion:
1) Ultrasound scanning of the scrotum.
2) Colour Doppler study of the scrotum.
3) Haemogram with E.S.R.
4) Routine Urine test.

Consult a qualified Urologist and discuss about this possibility. The aforementioned test can be performed under his guidance if appropriate.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Have epididymitis. Taking antibiotic. Not cured. Looking for effective remedy 53 minutes later
I have already got the ultrasound and routine urine test. And I am sure that my epididymitis is cause of STI. My urologist said to be off of antibiotics for 1-2months. So was wondering do generally epididymitis burn itself out in time. And if yes on average how long do you think it might take.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
You can stop taking antibiotics and wait for two ore months .It will get resolved of its own.
Normally epididymitis take long time to get cured.

Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have epididymitis. Taking antibiotic. Not cured. Looking for effective remedy 48 hours later
I feel my epididymis is swollen but don't have any pain. So does that mean the infection is there or not? And should I use Anti-inflammatory drugs for this?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
Swelling of the epididymis is due inflammation so continue taking anti inflammatory mdication for couple of weeks.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil