Have enlarged lymph nodes. Feel hard lumps in inguinal area. Had sinus and suffer from night sweats. Suggestions?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I was in central Africa a few months back and went out hooked up with a local. At the three month XXXXXXX I had a negative Test by ICMA and one by RNA detection with labcorp. I had another negative test at four months. I am now at six months and I have what I think are enlarged lymph nodes. I am not sure, I can feel my lymph nodes under my jaw and have a swollen right sternoclidomastoid muscle that is not tender and makes me worry it is my deeper lymph nodes. I can also feel hard lumps in my inguinal area but I am not sure if it is my ligament or a lymph node. I am fairly lean and hear it is easier for skinny people to naturally feel lymph nodes. I also have what looks like candidiasus erythematous on my soft palate and noticed it about a month after my trip. I have had recurrent canker sores numerous times since I came home. I had night sweats but no fever for a few weeks after and still occasionally get them and hope they are stress related. The girl I started seeing when I got home has had two nasty sinus infections with sore throat and all but no fevers. I want to know if my tests could still be considered negative since my exposure would be a non b clade. My mind is going crazy and heading down some crazy and scary paths and I clearly need help of some kind be it mental or another. I am again running around on the other side of the world and unable to test at six months and want to know if I can relax. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 18 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

A negative ICMA and RNA test 4 months after the risky exposure is almost conclusive that you are free from HIV unless you are on some other immuno-suppressible drugs. Multiple lymph adenitis and erythematous soft palate might be due to something else and not related to HIV.
You mentioned about recurrent canker sores, which may also be a reason for your erythematous soft palate. Sinus infection and sore throat can easily be contracted easily than HIV. As your sex partner had such infection which are not related to HIV, may be the reason for your problem.
So all your symptoms may not at all be related to HIV. So nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Have enlarged lymph nodes. Feel hard lumps in inguinal area. Had sinus and suffer from night sweats. Suggestions? 1 hour later
In your experience how many times have you seen a post three month negative turn positive? I am on no immuno-suppresible drugs and am a normally healthy individual.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome back.

To say frankly, in my experience of more than 20 years with HIV management I am yet to see an individual to become a HIV sero-positive after 90 days of high risk sexual behavior.
If you are not on any immuno-suppressible drugs and if you had tested in a reputed laboratory and the test was nonreactive after 90 days, I am sure that your present symptoms are quite unlikely to be due to HIV, that means you are free from HIV.
Consult your physician without any hesitation and he/she will help you to get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Have enlarged lymph nodes. Feel hard lumps in inguinal area. Had sinus and suffer from night sweats. Suggestions? 3 hours later
Thank you for your quick replies, I appreciate it very much. I have tested negative at 6 months with an oraquick and want to put this all behind me. I was wondering if any subtypes have been known to take a longer time for seroconverison to be be detected? Can I let this all go and put it behind me. I will not be able to get to a reputable lab again for another five months or so and need to somehow let this go. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 hours later
Welcome back.

After 6 months oraquick is negative. What else you want more? There is no such things discussed so far that some sero-types are taking longer time for sero-conversion. So give up your fear for HIV and relax. You are free from HIV so far till you fall in another risk.
Dr S.Murugan