Have enlarged lymph node, movable, soft, rubbery. What may this be?

Good Evening,
For the past couple of weeks I have felt what feels like an enlarged lymph node, about an inch UNDER my Collar Bone, and about an Inch to the Left (my left) of my feels soft, easily movable, rubbery and I don't believe it has grown. You can't see it my looking, but I can feel it under the skin when I feel the area. I was wondering what this may be, and if it is a reason for concern. Thank you for your time
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

Such nodes generally arise two suspicions.First and more common is infection.Second and less common is cancer.Since it is rubbery,mobile and not grown in size possibility of cancer seems less likely.

Since these has been there for couple of weeks, I think investigations to look for infection should be undertaken.And sonography and if needed biopsy of this node can be undertaken.

After investigations an appropriate treatment can be proposed.

Hope that help answers your question.

Follow-up: Have enlarged lymph node, movable, soft, rubbery. What may this be? 11 minutes later
Could it be an infection when I have not and do not feel sick at all recently? I mean, I feel perfectly fine...also, could a cancerous lymph node develop below the collar bone like that? Than you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
Yes, it still can be infection.

Subclinical or infections like tuberculosis may not cause obvious symptoms.

Cancerous lymph nodes can present almost any where, even below collar bone.