Have enlarged liver. Started loosing hairs and pressure under rib cage. What could this be?

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter has an enlarged liver. enzyme were in the 300's. While brushing her hair i noticed that her hair has gotten extremely thin. She said when she washes it alot of hsir comes out. What could this be? She was tested for thyroid, all hepatitis and mono. She feels alot of pressure under her right rib cage. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

As there seems to be multiple issues, here are answers for your concerns:

My daughter has an enlarged liver. enzyme were in the 300's.
== This suggests she had some type of hepatitis. It can be recovering if this report is more than 2 weeks old and she is very fine now.
This has nothing to do with following issues though.
Some types of hepatitis are preventable with vaccines. Often some medicines may cause liver damage.

While brushing her hair I noticed that her hair has gotten extremely thin. She said when she washes it alot of hair comes out. What could this be?
=== Hairs are often thin and broken when they do not get enough nutrient proteins, selenium and pantothenic acid. Many others minerals do make hairs thin.
Thin hairs and sparse hairs are different. In thin hairs, the diameter of hair is thin and breakable. In sparse hairs, the issue is likely to be infection or hormone related.

She was tested for thyroid, all hepatitis and mono.
=== Hepatitis may be caused by 20 different viruses and tests are available for say around only 10 of them; so tracing the culprit virus may be a futile exercise. What a doctor should ensure is that recovery should be complete in next 6 months.
Sometimes even heart related issues can make liver enzymes go high.
I would like to know exact levels or values of reports, as that needs to be taken into consideration than just reading the report as positive or not.

She feels alot of pressure under her right rib cage. What could this be?
=== This is often seen along with hepatitis. It may last up to 2-3 months following any hepatitis. Some types of hepatitis may be chronic and last for months and may need respective evaluations.

Other causes of such rib cage pain may be pneumonia, pleural effusion and cardiac overload or constrictive pericarditis, etc., which are rare.

I feel this addresses your concerns. Do write back if I have missed any.