Have elevated vitamin B12 levels. Need for concern? Do not take supplements

I had my vitamin B12 drawn and it was 1054 with normal being 221-700
I had also my Folate, Vitamin B1, Zinc, Copper, Chromium, Maganese, Selinium, vitamin A , Vitamin E, Amylace, Lipase, CBC, BMP all drawn- all of those labs were within normal limits.
I do not take suppliments
should i be concerned about the Elevated B12? its been high twice both around that above range mentioned (low 1000)
i heard B12 could be due to liver disease and blood cancers....
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is definitely a cause of concern because you must try to find the cause behind excess VIT B12.
You are right that excess VIT B 12 can be because of liver diseases and cancers.
There are many causes for high levels of VIT B 12 like...
Liver disorders like cirrhosis,hepatitis,cancer etc
Blood disorders like polycythemia vera,leukemias and various types of MYELOPROLIFERATIVE disorders.
You must consult a XXXXXXX medicine specialist and get investigated thoroughly.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have elevated vitamin B12 levels. Need for concern? Do not take supplements 15 minutes later
I have had MUCH testing, CT abdomen/pelvis, lumbar punctures, RUQ ultrasounda, gastric studies, small bowel series, colonoscopies (twice!), EGD's , they checked my liver and kidney function both of those are normal, Urine samples.... I have also had HIDA scans, MRI of my brain , ECHOS , Thyroid studies, they have felt around for lymphnodes in which they cant find any, they have tested also for Mastocytosis . I have even had pelvic ultrasounds , thyroid biopsies, PAP smears , neurological exams, skin biopsies all normal. they have also checked for carcinoid syndrome, cathecolmene levels, tryptase, they have checked paraneoplasic autoantibodies, and autoimmine antibodies... and so many other things (this is due to them trying to figure out my IBS symptoms and POTS) blood they have checked at 12 different Vitamins (all normal except B12 and vitamin D is low) , CBC, BMP, CPK, Triponins, Urine culture and Urinalysis,
PTT/PT, INR, ACTH stimulation test,thyroglobulin, SPEP, Amylace, Lipase, Lactic Acid, CK, Lipid Panel, ugh as well as chest Xrays and CT of my Chest.
all those studies have been normal .
I heard though those with the MTHFR gene can have this..... but i havent even tried going to genetics.

so with those tests i feel its slim for leukemia and liver issues. i mean my whole body has been scanned!
I feel like a medical mystery :( and this isnt being a hypochondriac - i was being followed at the cleveland clinic for the autonomic dysfunction..... and they did all that testing. as well as the autonomic testing they do with the tilt table, Thermo Sweat test, and such... and below is all weve found

only thing they have found is polycolonal gammapathy, High XXXXXXX 1:160 high ESR 29 (now that im on Plaquenil ESR is now 20 and XXXXXXX is recently negative and lots of symptoms went away)

but out of all the testing I have done the only abnormals have ever been is XXXXXXX

anyway ..... the B12 has me stumped and obviously the doctors too as they cant find a darn thing

so what you think? medical mystery ?
I was on a multivitamin for almost a month before that testing ; but i hadent had it for 2 weeks before each time i got the blood drawn NOR was I npo. i dont know if that matters eaither. they never said .....ugh
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
I have read your reply thoroughly and I feel that their is nothing to worry as such.
Although your blood levels of VIT B 12 are high but they are not of any much significance.
These levels become significant only if they are very high like in the range of above 2500 or 3000.
US FDA has not approved any toxic upper levels of VIT B 12 and decades of experience by medical community of such mildly raised levels has not attached any bad consequence on the body.
It is good that your detailed investigations have ruled out any liver or blood disorder.However there can be various reasons for your high levels like...
Increased meat or dairy products consumption
Use of certain drugs like dilantin or oral contraceptive pills.
Increased intake of B12 supplementation
The test is generally done after overnight fasting.
There is a theory that it could be due to increased levels of bacterial flora in your small intestine.Bacteria obtained from dairy and belonging to genus PROPIONIBACTERIUM ( abundant in human intestinal flora ) are extensively used for biological production of B12.
Other two most common organisms associated with increased production of B12 are pseudomonas and KLEIBSELLA. Their overgrowth could be triggered by intake of medicines like OMEPERAZOLE which results in increase of intestinal PH.
Low intestinal PH helps in keeps the intestinal flora in check.
At the end I would say again,there is nothing to worry since your levels of VIT B 12 are just marginally raised and detailed investigations have ruled out any known disorder.
Follow-up: Have elevated vitamin B12 levels. Need for concern? Do not take supplements 7 hours later
You are awesome! thanks for listening and explaining things in a way that I can understand , they dont do that here in the USA they just say "oh well its fine dont worry about" when reallyI just want to understand wHY, thanks so much doc
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.