Have elevated liver enzymes, gained weight. Had tests done. What does it indicate?

Jan 2013

I am 38yo, Indian ,Male. During a routine health check at office, my liver enzymes were at 4 times the normal. I am 84kilos at 171cms. What should I start doing? For the last 2 weeks I am on a strict 1600 cal diet. Very light exercise though, due to lack of time. I don't drink regularly. I have stopped smoking for about 7 months now, and it seems I have added about 8-9 kilos during this period. I am totally fit otherwise. The tests were done after a 2 week european tour, when I really indulged in good food and quality wine. Some figures:

BP 115/77
HDL 45
LDL ~170
Triglyceride : ~190
sugar fasting (after 2 weeks of europe tour and sumptuous food) : 142

Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have abdominal pain/ vomiting & nausea/ loss of appetite/ yellow discoloration of eyes and urine?

With the available active life and occasional intake of alcohol ,there appears to possibility of Non Alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) induced liver enzyme derangement.
NAFLD is a common entity with derangement in SGOT/ SGPT ranges between 100-400 U/l.
NAFLD could also be associated with lipid profile derangement.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.

Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.
Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW
As you don't have any risk factor, your LDL should remain below 160 mg% (Your LDL is 170 mg%).

Life style modifications are required in your case.
You should continue low fat diet and live physically active life.
You should continue brisk exercise 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days in a week.

Vit E, Statins and UDCA are the recommended medicines for NAFLD / XXXXXXX

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava