Have elevated liver enzymes. US showed ovarian cyst and did biopsy. Is it normal practice?

May 2013
I went for a internal ultrasound because my grandmother died of ovarian cancer. I have elevated liver levels ultrasound showed ovarian cyst dr did biopsy of ovary cyst in the office waiting for results cervix biopsy came back fine I read another post that is it not normal practice to do it in the office so just wondering how worried i should be i am 50 years old my two previous periods one lasted three weeks the last one i just spotted
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Histopathological report of biopsy is needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Some doctors may take ultrasound guided ovarian biopsy in the office itself. If aseptic precautions are practiced during the procedure, no need worry about it. During perimenopausal age group, some amount of irregularity in menstrual cycles is common due to hormonal imbalance. But as you are having family history of ovarian malignancy, better to get evaluated. So, possibly by getting the histopathological report of ovarian biopsy, one conclusion can be drawn regarding the problem. If that is a simple ovarian cyst, usually there is no need of treatment. And it will subside soon in few months. In case of complex cyst, treatment should be planned accordingly. Elevated liver enzymes can be seen due to many causes. So, after ruling out ovarian pathology, better to consult physician once to find out the cause for elevated liver enzymes. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Have elevated liver enzymes. US showed ovarian cyst and did biopsy. Is it normal practice? 53 minutes later
The biopsy of ovary was in the office but no ultrasound was used
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Difficult to take with out ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually without using ultrasound, it is difficult to take ovarian biopsy. So once ask your doctor about the procedure. Depending on the report treatment can be planned. Take care.