Have elevated bun and elevated liver enzymes. What could be the cause?

Nov 2013

I am wondering what elevated Bun and Elevated liver enzymes could be a result of
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
There are three likely reasons for elevated BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and elevated liver enzymes in this case:
1. Septicaemia- As mentioned, she has infection in the blood, which can spread to kidneys and liver, causing elevated BUN and liver enzymes respectively.
2. Certain medications too can adversely affect the kidneys and liver resulting in the above abnormalities.
3. If the patient had hypotension (low BP), that can cause ischemia (low blood flow) to kidneys and liver causing elevated Bun and liver enzymes.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back for any follow up queries.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM