Ask a Dentist   »  

Have elevated alkaline phosphates and periodontal disease. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have elevated alkaline phosphates and have periodontal disease is there a connection? My doctor is also checking. Pager disease. Could all three be connected
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
The mildly raised alkaline phosphatase levels can be connected to Paget's disease.
The periodontal disease is not likely to cause a rise in alkaline phosphatase unless the jaw bones are also involved.
If rest of your blood tests are normal, it is not clinically significant and does not indicate any major health problem.
It could be due to minor hepatic inflammation or fatty deposition, recent bony injury, Vitamin D3 deficiency, etc.
You need to have a repeat test along with other liver function tests after three months to see if there is any further rise in these levels.
Right now there is nothing to feel concerned. Periodic monitoring is required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.