Have elevated absolute eosinophil count. Should I be concerned?

My Eosinophil levels have been elevated from 6-11% over the past 5 years. My family physician has never mentioned it to and says my CBC's are normal. But I was looking over a test from two days ago and saw the High by Eosinophil and Eosinophil Absolute. On checking my records it has been that way at least as far back as 2008. Is this something I should be concerned about even though my doctor doesn't seem to be?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
There is nothing much to worry, If you see the absolute eosinophil count, it is not varying much.
You mentioned that you are suffering from so many other medical conditions, so you must be taking treatment for these and any kind of medication provides some stimulus to the eosinophils.
You should be worried only if you get symptoms like itching or hives etc.
For now it is perfectly fine.
The answers are posted on this website only.

Thank you
Follow-up: Have elevated absolute eosinophil count. Should I be concerned? 8 hours later
The reason for my concern was that I have had repeated bouts with sinus infection, colds etc over the past few months. Additionally, I had severe pain (even to the touch) in my right temple area. The doctor gave me 5 small doses of prednisone two days ago and it is getting better.

But initially I wondered if somehow my immune system was compromised that I repeatedly got sick. I am not under any treatment as you mentioned and am not taking that many different medications.

"If you see the absolute eosinophil count, it is not varying much." So how much is okay and at what level would there be need for concern? Aren't there other concerns than just dermatological?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
You did not mention about repeated bouts with sinus infection, colds etc in first query.
Now when you say this, this is surely matter of concern.
Eosinophils are definitely implicated in repeated sinus infections.

We consider it abnormal when there is more than double the increase from normal value and that also sudden increase.
Persistant increase means that you have an allergic tendency, as supported by repeated attack of sinus infections which you are getting. It is quiet common AND cannot be completly cured.
The levels as well as your symptoms can be kept under control by use of antihistamines, like cetrizine. Till the time you keep taking antihistamine your levels will be in control.

Regarding your non dermatological concern.
Eosinophils are implicated in following systemic conditions.
1. Asthma
2. Autoimmune diseases like SLE, myositis etc
3. Hay fever
4. Loeffler's pneumonia
5. Leukemia

The most common presentation in any of Eosinophilic conditions is recurrent Temporal arteritis. you will get relieved by prednisone. It does not have relation with high eosinophil

Hope I could help you a bit.
Thank you
Follow-up: Have elevated absolute eosinophil count. Should I be concerned? 2 hours later
Thank for the reply. I didn't know how much information to give initially. This is my first time to use this service.

Is cetrizine an OTC drug or prescription? I have to be careful with so many medications for my sinus and cold problem because of an enlarged prostate which is even more complicated with prostate cancer (only phase 2).

Additional FYI. I have also been seeing an allergist and have a list of allergies as long as my arm. Also, I was diagnosed with mild asthma. She has discussed the possibility of my taking an 18 month regimen of allergy injections. Could that eventually replace the need for antihistamines and bring my eosinophil level down as well as deal with the repeated sinus infections?

You have been very helpful. Thanks for the input.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Hello dear ,
Thanks for the follow up.
Cetrizine is available over the counter.
It can be taken with prostate problem, there will be no interference with that.
Definitely you need to be cautious with medicines.
Your allergist must have planned to give you shots of an anti histamine.
Best thing for you would be to take a few initial shots to get immediate control and then go for a long term oral cetrizine as maintainence. Just discuss this with her.
Hope you get well soon.
Thank you.