Have elevated SGPT level. What is this and what should I do next?

what is SGPT? My SGPT(alt) level is 65 u/l which is suppose to be up to 37 fpr male.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 11 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

SGPT stands for serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase. It is also called as alanine transferase (ALT).

It is one of the liver enzymes needed for normal liver cell metabolism and energy production. It is also present in heart and muscles.

Elevated levels are indicative of liver cell dysfunction. However, it has to be interpreted in conjunction with other Liver function Tests (LFTs).

Your level is only minimally raised.
Significance depends on numerous conditions which are not mentioned here.

Please specify all symptom details to know the importance of its rise.
It would greatly help if you could upload any reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!