Have elevate alk, alt and ast level. How to lower this?

High Liver Enzymes. Alk-407, ALT-245, Ast - 253 are these extremely high?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later

Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) have got a normal value of 10-40 U/L. They are the sensitive indicators of liver cell injury. Their levels of up to 300 U/L are usually nonspecific and can happen in any type of liver cell injury. Striking elevations of aminotransferases i.e >1000 U/L are usually found in diseases like viral hepatitis, ischemic injury, toxin or drug-induced liver injuries.

Alkaline phosphatase (ALK) elevation <4 times upper limit of normal ( upto 300- 400 U/L) can be a part of generalised liver injury. Elevations out of proportions to aminotransferases can happen in disorders where there is obstruction to bile flow. Its isolated elevation can happen without liver disease like old age, pregnancy, rapid bone growth like in children, after a heavy fatty meal in blood groups ''o'' and ''B''.

If I say in one line, the values provided by you is not extremely elevated. I wish you have provided informations about clinical symptoms and other parameters of liver function tests like serum bilirubin, albumin, GGT etc.

Hope I have answered you
Best wishes
Follow-up: Have elevate alk, alt and ast level. How to lower this? 2 days later
After having the tests that you just answered they are asking for some kind of iron blood test even though I am not anemic. All other blood tests were great. Why are they looking at the iron.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Body with iron overload state medically termed as hemochromatosis can be one cause for altered liver function. Usually the patients are asymptomatic in 3/4th of cases and are detected very often on routine blood screening. It manifests in fifties or sixties in female. They must have ordered you serum iron, ferritin and total iron binding capacity to calculate transferrin saturation. If transferrin saturation is more than 45-50%, then there is strong suspicion of the disease and usually further study is done to detect any mutation.

Best wishes