Have ehlers-danlos. Heard tearing sound while bending down. Having shoulder pain with movement

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there. I am 28 and was working on my car. I was sitting down pulling backwards on a nut that was really stuck. As I was pulling backwards I heard a tearing sound, but couldn't tell if it was coming from my shoulder or from my back. That was 2 days ago. My shoulder is not bad, but there is a specific area (between the shoulder blade and spine, towards the bottom of the shoulder blade, but feels like underneath it) that is still really sore and hurts with some movement. I still have full range of motion but it hurts a bit in my shoulder, but mostly in that spot in my upper back when I use my arm. Any advice or what do you think it is? I have been told that I have Ethlers-Downlose (sorry for the spelling) and I have already have had six surgeries to correct injuries, so I am a little nervous about this one.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The tearing sensation that you felt is likely to be related to a soft tissue injury or a muscle sprain.
Such strenuous works very often bring about muscular strains. Further activities can worsen this pain. I see such events very regularly at my clinic.

If you do not have problems during the movement of the affected shoulder, then I do not think you have caused a major injury. The need to visit an orthopedician in such cases depends on the intensity of pain. If the pain is severe, say above 8 on a pain scale, then a visit to your orthopedician could be worth it.

If the pain is not such intense, you may consider waiting for few days. Ice the affected part frequently. Avoid any activities involving the affected shoulder and definitely no physical exercises, pushing and pulling. Anti-inflammatory treatment like topical pain balms application and oral drugs like Advil (ibuprofen) 400mg twice a day after food will give added relief.

You can consult an orthopedic directly / through your local physician if the pain remains despite the above measures. MRI of the shoulder and thoracic spine are entailed.
Usually it takes 3-4 weeks for such soft tissue injuries to recover completely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.