Have edema of the gut. Facing difficulty to breathe and pain in lower intestinal area. Any cure?

I have edema of the gut. So much pressure that even a few bites of food, and I'm not only too full, it is very hard for me to breathe. I can't lay down, (I use a c-pap) and find it very frustrating to have to sit up during the night. Also, my lower intestional area seems to be really crampy, and sitting on the toilet, rubbing my tummy area doesn't help. I am on 4 - 20mg flursomide tables, two in morning, two in evening, and while that helps some, it doesn't relieve it enough to be able to breath easily.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since you are diabetic and also have hypothyroidism, it is likely that the fullness and chest discomfort could be due to abdominal bloating and gastroesophageal reflux disease due to gastroparesis.

Control of blood glucose and prokinetic medications would provide relief. Discuss with your doctor about these medications.

Since you are 71 years old, I would advice you to undergo an upper GI endoscopy too for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini