Have edema and noticed painless purple blotches inside thigh. What cure should be done?

I have light reddish purple blotches on the inside of my thighs. They do not itch and do not feel different in texture from surrounding skin. There is some edema with the blotches so the skin wrinkles up and doesn't fit me as tightly as it usually does. It's been going on for a month. Originally it was a brighter color and the spots were more distinct. If I didn't look at my legs I would not be aware af anything being wrong, i.e., there is no pain or itch.

I was very stressed at the time these spots developed and awakened one night so hot my inner thighs were dripping wet with sweat, something I've never experienced in my 68 years of life. I was staying in a hotel at the time and just attributed it to it having hotter bedding than usual.

At this point the slight edema is the biggest symptom because the color is fading.
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

The skin manifestations of a disease are very varied. The blotching of skin without any additional symptoms are to be investigated at full length. At the age of 68 years I would think of heat rash, chafing due to friction (at this age skin loses texture and the capillaries tend to bleed easily). The other important things that needs an assessment are Vitamin deficiency, clotting factor assessment and bleeding tendency. It could be manifestation of uncontrolled thyroid problem. When was the last assessment done?
Do the spots fade off on pressing with finger?

A skin problem reported like this should not be left for stressful situation. Please get Bleeding and clotting times done, Serum Iron, Vitamin C and D, Liver function tests, Hemoglobin.

Meantime keep the area dry with good quality powder and use cotton clothes that absorb moisture. Let me know the progress.

Hope this gives a right direction.