Have eczema of the scalp. Suggest shampoo?

Dec 2013

when to my family doctor, he said I had escema of the scalp,, should I use my regular shampoo or buy medicated shampoo????
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most of the times simple shampoos are sufficient

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your query your family doctor told you that you have eczema of scalp and for that you want to know whether to use a medicated shampoo or a regular one.

Now eczema of scalp area has variable degree of involvement of skin. This can vary form mild to moderate to severe degree. You can simply understand the degree of involvement simply as below:

1. If you have very less flaking with less redness and itching over the area then it is mild grade. In this case you do not need any type of medicated shampoo and can very well use your regular shampoo.

2. If you have visible flaking with some redness and bearable itching then it is moderate grade. Here also in most of the cases we XXXXXXX not need any medicated shampoos. but if the grade of flaking is high then in some cases we can use the shampoos containing ketoconzole or salicyclic acid in it.

3. If the flaking is very much visible and redness is pronounced with unbearable itching then we use the shampoos containing mild steroid such as "Flucinolone" or related steroid in it for initial few days and then shift over to the shampoos containing ketoconzole or salicyclic acid in it.

In your case I can not make out the exact degree of involvement. So you can judge according to above. Even then in my experience most of the patients do not require medicated shampoos and simple daily thorough washing is sufficient. It means when you are washing your scalp then thoroughly rinse the skin with your finger tips for at-least 2-3 minute and then wash off with running water. You can use a second application immediately for some of the days if there is more of flaking is present.
Do not try to pinch or scratch any area during or after the hair wash.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)