Have ear pain on face, increases when open mouth. How to overcome this?

Excellent

Question
EAR PAIN ON LEFT SIDE OF MY FACE, THE MORE I OPEN MY MOUTH THE PAIN INCREASES. AT FIRST I TAUGHT IT WAS A TOOTH ACKE BUT WHEN I TOUCH MY EAR, I FEEL THE PAIN THERE..... THE PAIN CAME SUDDENLY. THE PAIN IS A 10. THE MORE I OPEN MY MOUTH THE MORE PAIN.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 2 hours later

THANK YOU FOR THE QUERY.

The most common causes of pain in ear while opening mouth in my opinion is Temporomandibular joint disorders,dental caries and tonsillitis.
But you have mentioned that there is pain while you touch the ear it is the common symptom of otitis externa which refers to infection of external ear and for this you need to be evaluated by your ent doctor as they will examine and give you antibiotics.
If you are suffering with temporomandibular joint disorders then examination of the joint may elicit pain and there will be a crepitus sound on moving the joint.For this painkillers like flexon ,muscle relaxants and a soft diet is the treatment.

As you have told in your history that you dont have the dental problem then it may be ruled out.
About tonsillitis you need to consult your ENT doctor for examination and antibiotic treatment.

Hope i have answered your question upto your satisfaction.If you have any other doubts you can contact me again.

WISH YOU A GOOD HEALTH.

DR.Y.ALEKHYA.

Follow-up: Have ear pain on face, increases when open mouth. How to overcome this? 13 hours later
I think it may be otitis extema. how does one contact otitis...it came on me suddleny. today it seems a little bit better. do you think I still need an antibiotic? and if not ,,, how long do you think it will be before normal again... I am a profeffinoal piano and singer musicion....my next job is Friday. one more question ... do you rule out TMJ ? long ago I had TMJ,,, however the pain i'm having is different..........................i guess it won't hurt to take antibiotc's for a cupple of days. right? THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'M JUST GLAD IT ISN'T SERIOUS....right??????? YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

There is nothing much serious about it. As you are telling me you are feeling better now then no need of antibiotic treatment too as there might not be any infection. You have mentioned that you are a singer so cause may be TMJ. Take soft diet for few days you will be normal within 1 week. If your symptoms persists then contact tour doctor.

Dr.Y.Alekhya