Have ear pain in both ears, feels like something is moving

ENT Specialist
I am having a slight ear pain. It is not intense but a slight pain. It is happening in both the ears. It is like as if something is moving.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms of earache in both the ears could be due to the blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

During an attack of flu or nasal allergy, or presence of anatomical nasal block, there will be development of congestion around the nasal opening of the Eustachian tube. The congestion leads to blockage of the opening of the tube and thus causing negative pressure in the middle ear and pain.

Due to Eustachian tube block there will be collection of secretions in the middle ear giving rise to pain, fullness and sensation of water logged in the ear. This is what has happened in your situation, I doubt any infection at this stage.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the headache.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.

With the above measures your symptoms will definitely improve.

Hope I have answered your query: I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have ear pain in both ears, feels like something is moving 46 hours later
Thanks Doctor. I see to be all right today.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

It is good to know that you are feeling better today. I wish you good health. All the best.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon