Have ear pain and sore throat. Could it be tonsillitis? How to diagnose my symptoms?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have persistent nagging pain in ears and sore throat. Doctor says no problem in my ears, but it may be due tonsils or adenoids or infection in throat. But, how to confirm tonsillitis when one doc says it is tonsilitis and other says no.
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 42 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Tonsillitis can be diagnosed by examining the throat. Just a simple enlarged tonsil in the throat does not indicate tonsillitis. In tonsillitis, the tonsils would be enlarged, inflamed (appear red) and may at times have white membrane on them. Additionally lymph nodes may be enlarged in the neck below the lower jaw which will be tender. Fever may be present.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have ear pain and sore throat. Could it be tonsillitis? How to diagnose my symptoms? 3 hours later
Thank sir.
But I do not know why I have pain in ears. Even after examining me the ENT specialist could not diagnose my problem. To which doctor I have to consult in this regard?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 20 hours later
Pain in the ear could be due to disease of the ear and also that of tonsils, throat, teeth, tongue and temporomandubular joint (joint in front of the ear). All these should be examined to find the cause.
You can consult your personal physician to find the cause.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini