Have ear infection, itching and pain in ear canal. What medication should be done?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm 24 with an acute history of ear infectionsin 2011 I had ear trouble for 4 months with being told it was bertotitismedia today tho my riht ear started itching on the canal of the ear now its a dull to aching pain. I'm currently without insurance till the 16th I need relief anything I.can get otc? and what is this?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding otitis media of right ear. It is itching now and there is past history of ear trouble for four months.

Considering your symptoms and diagnosis made earlier it is most likely otitis media right ear. since you are not insured so I am telling you some conservative treatment but lateron definitive treatment by expert hands of ENT specialist will be must because otitis media most of the time demands surgical intervention.

At present you may take-

(a) Antibiotic.

(b) Anti allergic- Like cetrizine.

(c) Ear drop containing- antibiotic, antifungal and steroids.

I hope this treatment will help you and lateron you will consult ENT specialist for necessary investigations and treatment.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have ear infection, itching and pain in ear canal. What medication should be done? 8 hours later
Are putting tubes an option usually for adults to relieve this matter if you keep problem continues

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 57 minutes later
Hello

Welcome again in H.C.M.for your doubts.

Tube (Grommet) are put in cases of recurrent secretory otitis media, where due to middle ear gets blocked and faces negative pressure. Later this negative pressure stimulates mucous membrain of middle ear to secrete mucous which gives feeling of fullness and pain. If this remains unmanaged than disease progress further to give shooting pain to patient and followed by a hole in ear drum and ear start discharging.

Thus tube is put in above variety of cases and this may be put in children also depending on need.

As far as your case is concern it demands thorough examination than after one may decide the line of treatment.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have ear infection, itching and pain in ear canal. What medication should be done? 19 hours later
is loss of hearing something that's normal in cases like this

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later
Hello

Welcome again in H.C.M.

As you have asked about loss of hearing is an usual complaints in such cases but that can be managed by treatment with expert hands.

Regards.