Have ear infection. Experiencing neck pain, tingling and numbness in hands. Cause and cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I'm having this tingling and numbness feeling with this cool sinsation my arms legs hands and feet and face and sharp pain travel through my navel and my right side neck muscle feels soar and sometimes and sharp pain travels the through my neck it make my ear hurt like I have a ear infection yes I was in an car accident 2 yrs a go and still go to the chiro for adjustments neck and back still hurts went to ear nose and throat specialist didn't see anything
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.
It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Have ear infection. Experiencing neck pain, tingling and numbness in hands. Cause and cure? 13 minutes later
This started about 2 months ago I went to the Dr she said I had bronchitis the Dr gave me antibiotics and cough med to take throat and chest is no longer hurting but I still have the tingling numbness and cool sinsation

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

These seems due to two different conditions.Throat and chest symptoms due to bronchitis and tingling ,numbness due to radiculopathy.
So I advice you for these symptoms , get it checked out by an orthopaedician.

Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.