Have dysbiosis and impacted bowel due to immobility after broken leg, taken antibiotics for cystitis, had candida. Help

Hello there as a result of breaking my leg and relatively XXXXXXX years, at 68 years old, normally very healthy I was blocked by a broken leg, I slipped and fell on ice last Christmas, and due to the gravity of the break, the leg detached from the ankle bone, I had to remain immobile for two months and then it took me ages to get back on my feet again. Now that I could walk outside, I am being hit with a huge heatwave here in Italy, that pulls down my blood pressure, and makes me feel very uncomfortasble. As a result of all this immobility after a relatively active lifestyle I was diagnosed with dysbiosis and impacted bowel. I took antibiotics for cystitis about four months ago, and that completely flattened me with candida and thrush attacks by the way. The heatwave is continuing. Is there anything I could take to relieve impacted bowel. I am so stuck, that I can hardly eat much, as everything is difficult to digest. My doc is away on holiday, and I feel so stuck and fed up. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think the prolonged and forced bed rest, the heat and the antibiotics could be contributing to this situation. The best way to deal with this is this:
a. Have a high fibre diet. This would mean including a lot of fruits and vegetables and whole grain foods. The fruits and vegetables would also help you deal with the heat. Basically, the whole idea would be to include whole wheat and other grains and substitute other foods with these grains. Other foods like yoghurt with probiotics would also help replenish the gut flora
Another way is to take Metamucil ( psyllium husk) at bedtime. The original version can be used in a dose of 1 tsp in 8 ounces of water.
b. Having a lot of water would also help. We'd be looking for 2-3 litres of water in a day.
c. We should also be looking for some exercise atleast. Start walking for 20-30 minutes in the morning or in the evening ( when its relatively pleasant outside)
I think once we clean out your bowel you'll be feeling much better.
Let me know if you have any more questions