Have dry, white itchy skin on leg. Not cured by anti-fungal cream. Any permanent solution?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have Skin problem in my leg. Its for more than 6-7 years and I have used many anti-fungal cream but not got the permanent solution.
there are some spot on leg which looks very dry & white with hard skin and sometime make very itching . I have also consulted many physician but not cream or medicine has worked so I had stopped taking my medicine or using any cream.

Now, looking for some skin specialist who can give me perfect solution to this disease.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Probably you were suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis and hence you took treatment for 6 months.
Anyhow your skin condition is not related to this.
It is looking like either psoriasis or lichen plano pilaris. Both are conditions related to skin hyper sensitivity.
I would like to know the following.
1. Do the lesions increase in winters?
2. Do your parents or grand parents have similar lesions?
3. Does it respond to anti fungals. Sometime even fungal infection becomes chronic.
Kindly answer the above questions in follow up.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you

Follow-up: Have dry, white itchy skin on leg. Not cured by anti-fungal cream. Any permanent solution? 3 hours later

1- Yes, I feel that it increase in winter, but also in other seasons.

2- No, I my parents do seems to have such issue. Yes, baldness is an issue with my family.

3- Antifungal work little and when I do not use soap on it.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.
If you see carefully, most of the lesions are starting from hair follicle, hence I still believe it is a fungal infection.
I suggest you to use oint clodid b (clotimazole +beclomethasone) once daily for 15 days followed by oint clotrimaze twice daily for another 30 days.
You must complete the entire treatment and should not stop in between even if the lesions disappear.
what happens is, when you use antifungal the lesion reduces in a week but the fungus still persists and flares up. so a complete course is must.

Lesion on your father's feet is just a callosity, it is not fungal.

Hope this works for you.
Thanks

Follow-up: Have dry, white itchy skin on leg. Not cured by anti-fungal cream. Any permanent solution? 35 hours later
Thanks Dr.
This time I will follow the complete course.

Regd/
XXXXXXX

Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.

Hope you get well soon.

If you feel the discussion useful kindly rate it before closing.

Thank you