Have dry, white and itchy skin on penis. What could be causing this?

Question

I have an irritation on the skin of my penis. its dry, white, and itchy. hurts a little when I touch that spot. I have a picture if that would help. I'm very worried. Last Time, I've had intercourse was a month ago. The irritation appeared about a week to 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
thanks for the query.

From the picture i see white scaly lesion on what appears to be an erythematous skin. With the associated itch, it is likely to be a yeast infection. Yeast infection can be treated by simply antifungal drugs such as miconazole cream, fluconazole, clotrimazole etc.

Also, you have clean the area daily with clean water and light soap and keep it dry. Intercourse should be avoided in acute attacks because moisture and trauma make the male yeast infection worse.

Other possible diagnosis will include Psoriasis and STDs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be ready to to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regards.

Follow-up: Have dry, white and itchy skin on penis. What could be causing this? 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

Are there any over the counter treatments? Also, if it were to be a STD what would be the most likely one based on my condition?

Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

Yes for sure there are over the counter drugs for yeast infection such as miconazole cream, mycoster o.1% etc.

The most likely infection could be a syphilis or a skin infection due to germs from the genital tract.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regards.