Have dry throat and persistent cough. Taking cold medicine. Have trouble falling asleep. Throat feels dry?

I have a dry throat and persistent cough. i have been taking cold medicine but it does not seem to do anything. My throat gets dry even minutes after drinking water. this has recently come up as i have had trouble falling asleep. Why is my throat always so dry?

also my dry throat is making it increasingly difficult to breathe. Are the two correlated. If i fix my dry throat will i be able to breathe better?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effect of cold medication

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

Dryness of mouth and throat is a common side effect of cold medications which contain anti histamines which could be the cause in you.
If you could tell me which cold medications you are taking for the cough I can help you with an alternative
Also I must add here that dryness of throat and mouth is also seen in conditions like diabetes,hypothyroidism, sjogrens. etc so I strongly advice you to XXXXXXX a physician for a general health check up if the problem persists
I also suggest the following

1. Avoid smoking
2. Keep your self well hydrated
3. Chewable vitamin c tablets are very helpful to tackle the dryness

I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have further queries