Have dry throat and feels like blocked. Nearly choked. Suggest the treatment?

I have a dry throat and feels like its blocked which it did last night It feels like its in the wind pipe
and I nearly chocked
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effect of tramadol

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

One of the side effect of Tramadol is dryness of mouth and throat. Please enquire with the prescribing doctor if the dosage of the tramadol can be reduced or if another painkiller can be given instead of tramadol.
Tramadol is an effective painkiller with a good side effect profile compared to NSAIDs so if I were to be your prescribing doctor I would keep the tramadol and reduce the dosage to 50mg at night.

I also recommend you get your random blood sugar and thryroid profile tested as diabetes and thryroid dysfunction are the common causes for dryness of the throat.

My further suggestions to you are
1. Keep yourself well hydrated, drink atleast 4-6 glasses of water per day
2. Vit C chewable tablets are excellent for symptomatic relief of the dryness of throat
3. Approach an ENT specialist if the dryness of the throat continues

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me