Have dry patches on head, itching on upper back, upper chest, shoulders and face. Cure?

I have itching on my upper back upper chest ,shoulders and neck ,behind my ears,face and on my head. patches dry places on my head.the itching is unbearable....can you help?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

Itching may occur due to several reasons in these areas. The cause may be a dermatological problem or a systemic disease. Most common dermatological disorders causing pruritus in the way you mention is Urticaria, Xerosis, Thyroid disorders etc. Most of this are chronic and require long-term management by a dermatologist.

You can have oral antiallergic medications like Hydroxizine OR Cetrizine to reduce the discomfort caused by itching. Both these cause sedation, hence try to take them at night.
During the day, you may take Tab.Allegra (fexofenadine) to combat the itching. For the prescription of the medicines, make sure you visit your family physician.

If the itching is due to xerosis, using moisturizers or barrier creams regularly will help reduce it. Applying moisturizers immediately following bathing will ensure a higher retention of moisture.

You may upload any relevant pictures here like the patches you mention. This will help me guide you further. You can send them to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.

Do you see hives appear in your body ?
Is your blood sugar under control?

I will be happy to help in your follow-up queries.

Wish you good health
Follow-up: Have dry patches on head, itching on upper back, upper chest, shoulders and face. Cure? 34 hours later
the only other thing i should have mentioned is that my face and scalp have white dry patches and my shoulders have a small rash....
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later

Thanks for following up.

Similar patches can come due to a dermatitis. Being a diabetic you are more prone to generalized itching in the body.

Scalp and trunk patches may be due to Seborrheic Dermatits as well. It is common to see a post inflammatory hypo pigmentation (white patches) after this.

If you can upload a few pictures if will be helpful in further diagnosis.

Best Wishes ,