Have dry patch on forehead that peels off with redness. Tried lamisil. Is it effective?

General Surgeon
I have a dry Patch on my forhead and the skin feels scaly and peels off every day or every couple of days. Once the skin peels its a little red. There is no itching or burning sensation on this patch. I've tried to moisturize using differnet moisturizers but some would help with the dryness but after a few days it'll still peel off. Someone suggested to try lamisil and I tried it for a day and although it doesn't feel dry anymore it does look a little more red today. I'm not sure if this is part of the healing process or if its getting worse. Please help
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Staphyloccocal infection likely Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. From the picture it appears that you are having folliculitis that is localized Staphyloccocal infection of follicle and subcutaneous tissue. Local application of Mupirocin ointment and oral Amoxicillin three times a day for 7 days will provide you the much needed resolution. Wishing you a healthy life. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: Have dry patch on forehead that peels off with redness. Tried lamisil. Is it effective? 3 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your prompt answer. i was wondering if these are over the counter or require a prescription? If they are prescriotion is there an equivalent over thr counter meds that I could take for this since I don't have a written prescription? Thanks in advance Reza M
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bactroban_Mupirocin is over the counter drug Detailed Answer: Greetings Dear Reza Bactroban - Mupirocin is over the counter ointment in Canada. Ampicillin will be alternative to Amoxicillin. Ampicillin is to be used four times a day. However both these need prescription since they are antibiotics. I hope it helped Take care Wishing you a speedy recovery. Regards Deepak