Have dry mouth and burping problem. Coated tongue and had fungus in naval. Eating relieves the dry mouth

Dec 2012

I have dry mouth problem and now I am burping? When I last saw my doctor she asked me if I was burping, that was this afternoon, but I just started burping this evening. I had a fungus in my navel but when she saw it today, she said it was gone, but the navel is still red. My tongue is coated most of the time. When I eat something, it relieves the dry mouth for awhile.
Is this (dry mouth and navel problem) a serious problem?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health query,

From your description it appears you are having a kind of infection of the gut or a metabolic complication such as diabetes mellitus (with symptoms such as dry mouth, coated tongue and belching/burping) this associated to a localized skin infection probably of fungal origin (since I am unable to see it will rely on your doctor's impression). Dry mouth (xerostomia) or lack of saliva in the mouth could seem mild but could indicate signs of a serious problem. It could occur as a result of side effects of various medications such as antidepressants, anxiolytics, antihistamines, some pain killers etc. Could be as a result of certain underlying diseases such as autoimmune diseases (e.g Sjögren's syndrome), diabetes, alzheimer's diseases, certain lifestyles (like smoking, chewing cigarette etc).
Dry mouth increases a person's risk of gingivitis (gum disease), tooth decay, and mouth infections, such as thrush.

If you think your dry mouth is caused by certain medication you are taking, talk to your doctor. He or she may adjust the dose you are taking or switch you to a different drug that doesn't cause dry mouth.

In addition, an oral rinse to restore mouth moisture may be prescribed. If that doesn't help a medication that stimulates saliva production, called Salagen, may be prescribed.

Other steps you can take that may help improve saliva flow include:
- Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum
- Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist
- Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoridetoothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your dentist regularly
- Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible
- Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air
- Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute

You will need to get your doctor have a look again at your situation and try to determine if there is an underlying cause so she can get effective treatment first before you might get some relieve.
Your red navel might require some antifungal cream to be applied daily on the surface.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah