Have dry lips, rashes on stomach and back. Noticed blisters on lips. Any cure?

I had a rash 2 weeks ago that went from my stomach around to my back. There were about 70 bumps that looked like chicken pox (and had white heads) but did not itch. I had no other symptoms and have no known food allergies. I saw two doctors, one said it was bed bugs (which it turned out not to be) and the other said it was foliculitis and rx'd several meds (which I decided not to take). The rash disappeared over the course of several days on its own. When the rash first appeared, I also had unusually dry lips and my lower lip seemed barely swollen. I didn't think the events were related. However, the dry lips have persisted, even though the rash is gone, and I recently developed a couple of small, blister like bumps on my upper lip. I haven't changed my diet and the foods I consume are relatively constant. No matter how much water I drink or chapstick/vaseline I apply, the dry lips have persisted. I was using Burt's Bees chapstick and I almost feel like that irritated them more as it has peppermint and gives a tingling sensation. I applied olive oil today and they seem a little better. The only other recent change was I started using Tom's Natural Toothpaste. I have stopped the toothpaste and will see if that helps.
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for the query
Your history suggests that you are having these dry lips even before you had these skin bumps on your stomach area.
There can be various causes for persistent dry lips and one has to identify the causes for a proper treatment.
These causes are
Extreme winter or summer
Drinking less water resulting in dehydration
Personal habits like mouth breathing,smoking,biting finger nails etc
Persistent use of various medicines
If  you are using a ill fitting denture
Overuse of some cosmetic or skin care products
B complex and iron deficiency
Yeast infection of corners of lips resulting in cheliosis
If you are using a fluoride tooth paste

Some medical conditions like diabetes and auto immune diseases can also result in persistent dry lips

Do the following for the treatment

1...Drink plenty of water
2...Take B complex vitamins and iron
3...apply Glossy lipstick, unflavored lip balm, petroleum jelly, aloe vera and Vitamin E ointment are all common remedies for soothing cracked lips. Rubbing a cucumber slice on your lips daily for about 10 minutes is also known to be effective, as is applying a drop of sweet almond or olive oil.
4.. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables
5.. Avoid excessive cosmetics
 6.. If angles of mouth are red then you need anti fungal ointment
7... Use humidifier at home and office

Take these measures and see the response.
If nothing happens in next 3 weeks,you are advised to consult a dermatologist to look for any medical condition.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck