Ask a Dentist   »  

Have dry lips and sores on corner of gums. Used fungal cream. What am I suffering from?

i have fury gums dry lips small sore in corner of mouth loose skin in corner of lower gums sore gums redness of lips all that go and come back once i stop fungl creame doctor says all is clear i hope you can help me as i am at my wits end . XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 46 minutes later
Dear friend.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

I need some more information from your side.
Do you have any history of diabetes, blood pressure, any medication you are taking and are you wearing partial or complete denture?

Your symptoms mimic a clinical condition called angular cheilitis, that is, at the corner of the mouth, the saliva tends to collect and skin becomes macerated, fissured and secondarily infected by bacteria and fungus. That is why you have been prescribed anti fungal.

This is due to intra-oral infection by candida and riboflavin deficiency (vitamin B-complex).
This type of lesion, if not treated for the underlying cause, shows remission.

Your gums are also infected too. I would suggest you to start with Vitamin B-complex capsules. If possible please upload a photograph of the lesion.

It has to be treated systemically. Only local anti-fungal would not help much. Let me know for further query. Meanwhile maintain very good oral hygiene.
Follow-up: Have dry lips and sores on corner of gums. Used fungal cream. What am I suffering from? 23 hours later
No history of blood pressure and diabetes just been tested .lesion just healed. Have full denture top only. medications are as follows, Zyloprim, zoloft, losec, zocor. This seems to have broken out after having top denture relined 6 months ago. lesion was like a red crust that left like a cold sore. With thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
Its nice to know that diabetes and blood pressure is ruled out in your case.
Now I am sure that it is due to your ill fitting dentures only.

The vertical height of your denture requires correction. I would suggest you to visit your dentist and get this corrected or replaced.

It's vertical dimensions should be appropriately measured and then it should be fabricated.

The gum tissues beneath the denture keeps changing in shape and size. Over a period of time the underlying bone also changes in size thus making the denture ill fitting.
Maintenance of strict oral hygiene is a must, in this case of candida (fungal) infection.

It is recommended to use chlorhexidine 2% mouth wash once in night regularly for 15 days, also do frequent warm saline rinses. This prevents further infection in oral cavity. I am sure this should definitely help and solve your problem.

For further query let me know.
Follow-up: Have dry lips and sores on corner of gums. Used fungal cream. What am I suffering from? 17 hours later
Dear doctor XXXXXXX I also use polydent to keep my deture in place .I have been using this for approx one year could i also be allergic to this cream. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 56 minutes later
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not think so because allergic reactions, if occurs, it will not localize to a particular area of mouth only rather it will have a different manifestation and presentation. In addition, allergies are expected within hours and weeks. Here it shows it has adapted well to your oral tissues.

I would also like to mention, that if dentures are fabricated using natural undercuts in your mouth then, they do not require any material like polydent to keep the denture in place, therefore kindly talk to your dentist regarding this also.

In addition, if you want you can change to some other brand, as many are available but be sure your polydent it is not allergic currently.

Denture cleaning becomes mandatory with the use of adhesives. So please follow it religiously. This will inhibit fungal growth.

It is recommended to store your denture in nystatin solution.

Hope it helps. For further query let me know, and if you feel these treatment modalities are helpful to you then please send your feedback through rating.