Have dry lips and skin started peeling. How to prevent this?

My daughter is having dry lips skin and some times, the skin comes out and she keeps pulling it. Can we apply some ointment or something to get it right? How can we prevent it going forward? is it due to low water content in body?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 4 hours later

Thank you for using XXXXXXX to address your query and for asking me the question. I need a little more information about the problem: since how long is this problem been going on; is the child getting "bored" and uses this as a "habit" to while away the time or is there some form of pain or local problem associated with the problem.

Dryness of lips can be without any cause, or be associated with familial dryness of the lips, allergic dispositions of the body (such as eczema), fever conditions like viral fever or typhoid, etc.

I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with dehydration (which is what doctors label the condition where the body water gets reduced). In the meantime, may I recommend the use of Vaseline (liquid paraffin wax) on the lips, esp. before she goes to bed. No other costly creams will do any better than plain old Vaseline. Even the "lip guard" will do.

Hope you will revert to me with the answers to my questions.

- Dr. Taher
Follow-up: Have dry lips and skin started peeling. How to prevent this? 1 hour later
We are seeing this problem quite recently. This is not side effect of any illness or anything. One day morning, we have observed it when she got up from her bed. After that, it repeated couple of times. Yesterday, she started pulling the skin and thats when we thought we should apply some cream.

We dint know that, we can apply vaseline as we thought it's for adults ONLY. We will apply that today and see if she gets better.

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 8 minutes later

I am quite sure that vaseline will be appropriate if applied after she goes to sleep. You may wipe it off gently in the morning or once she wakes up before she takes a feed. It won't be worth the while to rebuke her or to shout at her not to pull at the skin, as this will only lead her to do it more and more. Try not to ignore it either. Just keep applying Vaseline gently to the eroded area.

Dr. Taher

P.S. As I wrote earlier, she may be doing it as a distraction from boredom. Try to involve her in some activity or the other so that she is diverted from thinking about it. This will be an effective form of prevention.