Have dry cough, making high pitch barking sound and slight temperature. What is the next step?

I have had a cough for three weeks now. It started dry and unproductive. Moved to productive, and now seems to be moving back to dry/unproductive, but there is a high pitch barking sound now when I cough. Slight temperature last night: 99.8 and now 99. Concerned that not getting better. Taking chicken soup, liquids, tea, XXXXXXX cider vinegar/honey in warm water. What do you recommend as my next steps? Thanks for your advice, XXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Series of measures suggested

Detailed Answer:

Cough of this duration signifies higher mucous secretion in the upper airways. This can happen with viral illness leading to croup or bronchitis. Other reasons could be allergy because of allergen exposure, angioedema because of atacand. As you keep coughing the laryngeal folds swell to produce the barking sound.

The symptoms seem to be resolving now. Since you used up all the home remedies I suggest you to rely on anti tussive (cough medication) for one more week continuing the above measures you already undertaken. So if over the counter medicines do not help you can go for prescription based medicines to supress cough. Your doctor can recommend Leukotriene antagonists and antihistamines like Monteleukast plus Cetrizine.

At the same time a Flu vaccine is important at this age once a year. Take ample medications to suppress cough as it increases pressure in the chest and abdomen that increases the chances of herniation.

Hope this is valuable