Have dry cough and throat feels irritated. Is this due to lack of water?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

Having dry cough very often as the throat feel very dry and irritated. Could it be due to lack of water? Any underlying cause of a dry throat? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common causes for a dry cough is irritation in the throat and airway caused by conditions such as an infection, post nasal drip, allergy or acid reflux.

2. Certain conditions such as lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat, a reactive airway after an upper bronchitis may also be involved. Tropical eosinophilia, anti-hypertensive drugs are some other reasons.

3. The dryness in the throat will be worsened by dehydration.

4. Get a throat examination and a videolaryngoscopy done. Get a blood test to rule out eosinophilia. (Absolute Eosinophil Count or AEC). A Chest X-ray and ECG may be done. Lung function tests may help if no other cause is identified. You may share the reports here.

5. In the meantime, a cough suppressant (not an expectorant) will help. Try anti-reflux medication. Avoid exposure to pollution and tobacco smoke.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.