Have dry cough and blood shot red eye. What am I suffering from?

symptomshello I am 24 yrs old female I'm about 5 foot 2 inches 160 lbs I've had this bad cough kind of a dry cough once in awhile I will have sputum it looks clear and not much comes up! and the weird thing is my eyes are bloodshot red they don't bother me at all but look groce! they just stay bloodshot they havnt gone back to normal in 3 days.....can you please tell me what this could be??
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query. I need to know few relevant details.

You had not mentioned how long you had been suffering from bad cough? Did it start dry and now is it with sputum. What part of the day do you have cough? What did you try for its relief?

Blood shot eyes that appear suddenly with no other symptoms is seen in sub conjunctival hemorrhage. A blood leak under the upper most layer conjunctiva. This could be a result of coughing or straining. The other reason could be dry eyes. You can use tear drops with methyl cellulose, the pharmacist at the counter can help you with them.

If my reasoning is correct your redness reduces on its own once the cough is cured. You should take better medicine to control it. If you are just trying over the counters and yet no relief it is better you should see a local doctor for prescription drugs for immediate relief. If you had not tried anything for cough you can take Robutussin DM, thrice a day for three days. This is available over the counter. If not relieved please see the doctor.

Let me know with other relevant details.

Follow-up: Have dry cough and blood shot red eye. What am I suffering from? 8 hours later
I have had the cough now for almost a week and from the beginning til now I have very little sputum. I'm not very big on taking medicine so last night was the first time I took medicine which was mucinex I finally got some sleep! so I shouldn't worry about my eyes? it should go away when I get rid of cough?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 hours later
With my primary assessment I feel that your eyes should get better as soon as cough is relieved. If not you should XXXXXXX the local doctor.

Since your cough been there over a week and there is a chance of infection ( sputum) you should think of getting antibiotic prescribed from the local clinic or Nurse practitioner in your area. Mucinex just helps in melting the sputum but the infection can still bother you.

Hope this helps.