Have dry cough. No relief from inhaling nasal spray and gargling. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I have dry cough. I am inhaling nasal spray and gargling twice.The same is not getting cure
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with cough.
Do you have fever/ running nose/ sneezing with throat pain?
Since how long are you suffering from cough?
At what time cough is severe? whether whole day or night times.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Acute viral Presence of dry cough and sore throat suggests the diagnosis.
As it is viral in nature, symptoms may persist for coming 3-4 days.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
Clinical examination will make clear whether the use of nasal spray is needed or not.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and chest x XXXXXXX
You should take complete antibiotics therapy (to prevent secondary bacterial infection), mucolytics and decongestants.
You should also take cough suppressants.
Sometimes these viral infection may also cause bronchitis with onset of severe coughing.
Clinical examination makes clear the use of bronchodilators.

You should avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt.
Perform gargles three times in day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.

You can ask direct query on this URL: http://bit.ly/Dr-Mayank-Bhargava

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Have dry cough. No relief from inhaling nasal spray and gargling. What to do? 16 hours later
I have dry cough now for a month.It is throughout the day and get little extra in night unless I get sleep.

No fever, no sneezing it is only cough.

regards

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
There appears to be chance of bronchoconstriction as cough is more during night times.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also take Benzanotate along with codeine for relief of your symptoms.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava