Have dry and itchy ear lobe. Found cyst on earlobe. Took antibiotic. How to get rid of this?

Hi I have had a chronically inflamed left ear lobe for several months involving a lot of heat, itch, tingling, dryness and scabbing and, at the top of the earlobe, and area of sharp pain. My GP says that there is a cyst at this point which may need excision. I've had this part of the lobe infected and treated with two courses of antibiotics but this has made no difference. I sleep on my left side. Sometimes it isn't so severe and dissipates somewhat but it is permanently there and a real nuisance when trying to sleep.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the infected part of the ear lobe and upload it along with the question.

Moreover I would also like to know if you have any medical illness like diabetes/hypertension.

Hope to hear from you soon. Such information will be helpful in serving you in a better way.

Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Have dry and itchy ear lobe. Found cyst on earlobe. Took antibiotic. How to get rid of this? 3 hours later
Hi again Doctor XXXXXXX I have not been diagnosed with hypertension or diabetes. I've uploaded a picture of my ear lobe. The really painful part is at the top left of the picture. The bottom right of the picture is also inflamed but not as painful. It gets quite hot particularly at night. I would be grateful if you could give me some kind of diagnostic indication as to what this might be and as to how I should treat it. Regards, XXXXXXX
Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I can still not visualize any image of your ear in your question. Probably it failed to upload.
Now as per your description, it appears that you are probably suffering from a ear lobe cyst which has led to secondary infection.
Now that you have tried two courses of antibiotic and it is still painful, it would be always advisable to surgically remove the cyst.
The same has been advised to you by your surgeon.
Meanwhile you can take Diclofenac painkillers and hot foment the ear so that the pain is reduced.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.