Have dropping vitamin D levels. What causes this?

Even though I am on 50,000 units of vitamin D per month and 2000 per day, my vitamin D level continues to drop and is now 22. What causes this? Is this deficiency able to cause fatigue, muscle aches and basic blahness?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are three main organs in the body that have a role to play with synthesis of vitamin D. The skin, the liver and the kidney. It might there fore be very vital to check your liver function tests and also evaluate your kidney function. Lesions at the level of these organs will cause serious reduction in the synthesis of vitamin D leading to vitamin D deficiency.

The role of Vitamin D in the body is the cause reabsorption of calcium into the body at the level of the intestines and kidney tubules. Lack of Vitamin D leads certainly to low Calcium levels. Calcium is very vital in muscle contraction. Low Calcium level resulting from low vitamin D levels causes hyper excitability of muscles leading to muscle cramps.

It is therefore but normal to experience cramps with low vitamin D levels, since low vitamin implies low calcium absorption and consequent low levels in the body.

Evaluation of kidney and liver function is vital. Comparing these results and current vitamin D levels in blood could important in adapting substitution therapy.

I suggest you consult an internist or your proper review and testing. Feel free asking further questions in case need be.
Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.