Have dried blood and white things hanging in ear. Should I consult an ENT specialist?

ENT Specialist
Question
My gp is referring me to a specialst as i have dried blood and white thinhs hanging in my ear. I feel this is worrying what do u think
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Do not worry! This is one of the common ENT problems.

Many of the individuals while trying to clean the ear will damage the skin of the external auditory canal. During this process there will be mild capillary bleeding. I presume same thing would have taken place in your ear along with accumulation of flakes and cerumen.

The white flakes are the dead cells and the denuded superficial skin layer. This combined with sebum secretions form cerumen which is the normal constituent of the ear canal.

Your GP has referred you to an ENT Specialist because it requires meticulous cleaning and avoid further damage to the canal.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have dried blood and white things hanging in ear. Should I consult an ENT specialist? 5 hours later
It hasnt happened due to poking. I had flu over christmas with ear infection and since have had amoxicillin augmentin otomin ear drops and now otomise spray. I dont hear that well in that ear

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

In that case, the bleeding could be due to rupture of the ear drum following flu and middle ear infection. That is the reason you have been prescribed with otomize spray. Also, there could be perforation of the eardrum leading to reduced hearing.

I would still suggest you to consult your ENT specialist for an aural toilet and complete examination of the ear.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon