Have down syndrome with irregular period. Any possible treatment?

I have a Down Syndrome daughter was has had a period for 7 weeks I am very worried as it seems to be getting worse. Please can you advice me what to do because it will be very hard to exanin her thank you
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 45 minutes later

Down’s syndrome patients experience some kind of menstrual disorder - heavy, painful, scanty, non-existent, or irregular menstrual flow. This is due to hormonal imbalance which is more likely in genetic disorder.

I recommend you to
1. Get her hormonal levels checked as she needs hormones to regularize her cycles.
2. Get her Hemoglobin levels checked as bleeding for long time could lead to anemia.
3. BMI of 18-24 is ideal. Maintain her physical fitness. As overweight or underweight could lead to menstrual abnormality.
4. Symptomatic treatment for excess menstrual flow till hormonal therapy is started.

One good thing is - once the menses are established, usually within the first 6-18 months of menarche most adolescents with Down’s syndrome have regular periods.
So be positive.

Hope I have cleared all your doubts. Let me know anytime if you have any further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Have down syndrome with irregular period. Any possible treatment? 46 minutes later
Thank you and I will go to the GP and follow your advice I feel a lot better now thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 9 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

Let me know anytime if you have any more queries at this link.

My good wishes with you.

Dr Nilofer