Have done nursing, tiny drops of milk discharge and white flakes on breast with a tiny brown flake

I have a question. I have been done nursin for 6 months and still have tiny drops of milk come out every once and a while. I had a normal breast exam by my on last week and said this was normal. When I where a black tank or bra I notice white flakes dried up breast milk or dry skin. Today I noticed one single tiny tiny like a mm sized flake that was brown or orange so small I couldn't tell. If I had bloody or abnormal discharge would it be more noticeable then one single flake smaller then a sea salt grain?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 22 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

First of all, I agree with your examiner, it is normal for milk to be expressed even up to a year after discontinuing breast feeding.

Now coming to the orange or brown discharge. If it was orange, this is also milk, it can appear orange at times and is normal. But, if it was darker and brownish this could be blood.

In response to your question: Yes, if you had a bloody discharge (brown or reddish), it should have been more noticeable that one single flake (which would equal a drop of blood or less). But I would still recommend a visit to the doctor, to be on the safer side. In the meantime, keep observing any changes in the breast, self-examine for any lumps, and look for a repeat brown or dark reddish discharge and report to your doctor immediately, if this occurs.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.