Have dizziness, loss of balance too. Can Cavernoma be the cause?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have dizziness, loss of balance too
I fell on 15th may. Please don't telephone it is late.might upset wife neurologist is waiting for scans from 1996 regarding a cavanoma, found,that could be the reason.
If its the cavanoma.how long to my end?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Concussion,rule out BPPV,Scan review of Cavernoma

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The dizziness and loss of balance may be due to the concussion if your recent scans are normal (besides the cavernoma).

2. Is the dizziness true vertigo (spinning of the surrounding) or only unsteadiness? How often and how long do the episodes last? Is it continuous? Are there any other associated symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting or sweating? Is the dizziness only when there is change of position (such as when you lie down or sit up)? Can you walk without support? Do you get dizzy when you turn in bed or when you look up while climbing stairs? Is your vision clear or blurred? Is there any tendency to blackout?

3. The exact location and size of the cavernoma will decide what will be it's future effects.

4. Cavernomas are benign and do not require treatment if asymptomatic. Other accompanying signs of trouble with a cavernoma may include headaches, strokes, pressure due to XXXXXXX bleeding and seizures.

5. You may upload scan images (recent and from 1996) for comparison.

6. There is an option to leave the cavernoma alone if it is asymptomatic. Newer options include stereotactic radio-surgery, cyber-knife or gamma knife therapy.

7. Since you have been discharged from the hospital, there should not be a cause for worry. Are you on any anti-vertigo medication?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have dizziness, loss of balance too. Can Cavernoma be the cause? 3 hours later
It is 4 hours now since I started this and I feel just the same.
And am shaking, I feel a trip to A & E is required ASAP. Sooner rather than later
In answer to you (4) none of these (6) in Sussex ? (2) tonight it is continuous vision ok, walking is a problem, no sweating or vomiting

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit an ER, Review of Scans, Neuro checkup

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. You should visit an ER if you are feeling unwell.

2. Without any associated symptoms, it is likely to be a post concussion dizziness.

3. A review of your Scans is important.If your Scans and a Neurological check-up are clear, medication to control dizziness such a s cinarrizine (Sugeron), betahistine (Vertin) or prochlorperazine (Stemetil) may help.

Regards.