Have diverticulosis. Feeling tired, chest pain, passing diarrhea. On humiria. Found elevated wbc. Colon cancer?

General Surgeon
hello, last year my doctor said that I have diverticulosis, she did a ultrasound and barruim xray to confirm, The past few weeks I have been dealing with an attack. I have mild side pain, thin stools, water stools, tired and feeling bla. I have had no fever nor did I vomit. I am on humiria as well for pysorsis, recent tests came back with fat on my liver and my white cells alittle elevated. I went to the emergency room last week (blood in toliet) they drew blood and was not concerned, said I was at the end of my attack I am not convinced that this is a diverticolitis attack, but rather Colon Cancer.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with diverticles is that when no inflammation present, it does not give any symptoms, but if a peace of stool will stuck in one of the diverticle, acute inflammation appears. This inflammation sooner or later will cause a perforation of such diverticle. And you never know during which episode it will happen.
That is why, if such episodes of inflammation keeps repeating, surgery is necessary and removal of the diverticuled part.

Your symptoms can be caused by diverticulitis indeed, however colon cancer is also possible.
But with or without symptoms pointing to colon cancer more than to diverticulitis, colonoscopy is strongly advisable at your case. Just note that the colonoscopy should be done about 3 weeks after curing acute inflammation of the diverticules (otherwise perforation during colonoscopy is probable).
And the colonoscopy will rule out colon cancer.

With the colonoscopy result I suggest you to visit general surgeon and consider surgery (planned surgery is much better for you as it wont be necessary to create a stoma; when diverticle gets perforated, stoma is necessary).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.