Have diverticular disease. Suggest best diet?

General Surgeon
I had a colonoscopy about 5 weeks ago, and the Dr performing the procedure said I have diverticular disease. I had an MRI scan last but am not due to see the consultant for another two weeks. So, as yet I have has no advice on how to treat the symptoms. It flared up again about a week ago and I have been reading online advice (NHS and similar) regarding the best diet whilst experiencing symptoms.

A lot of the advice is fairly contradictory but it seems clear liquid for a few days followed by low fibre til symptoms pass?

One particular contradiction is whether I should drink tea (I take it with milk)?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You need to know that whatever you eat or drink, before it will reach the large intestine (the area where your diverticles are) it is almost digested and whole water is absorbed. So it makes no difference for your large intestine if you drink tea, milk or clear water.

What makes difference is how much liquids you will drink and how much fiber you will eat. Diverticles are caused by constipation. Constipation and pushing hard on stool increases pressure in the large intestine. This causes some kind of pouches creation in the wall. These pouches (diverticles) have weak wall and stool can stuck in it causing an inflammation.

Healthy food (fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water), physical activity are the best ways to keep our bowels healthy.

Now, if you have an inflammation of diverticles (diverticulitis), you should have an antibiotic prescribed and keep soft diet for few days. Drink plenty of mineral water and tea (can be with milk). Fiber XXXXXXX products are always better for large intestine than low fiber. It prevents constipation what helps with inflammation healing. Just note that some diverticulitis cases should be treated at the hospital with antibiotics and drips. For some days food can be banned.

If you do not have an inflammation, just diverticles, fiber XXXXXXX products are the most important foods for you and so is mineral water (or tea if you prefer it). You should make everything to avoid constipation.

Diverticulitis can be a serious condition. It can lead to intestine perforation. That is why, if the inflammation keeps recurring, surgery should be done and part of large intestine removed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.