Have diverticular disease. Started gastrointestinal bleeding. Experiencing fatigue, memory loss. Normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have diverticular disease and am just home from the hospital with a major GI bleed. Over the last week I had eight units of blood transfused. Hemoglobin at 6.5, hematocrit low RDW high, better now. I have extreme fatigue and am experiencing short term memory loss. Is this normal after so many transfusions?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Sorry to learn about your problem

Yes with HB @ 6.5 you will have fatigue and even short term memory loss

It is other way because of reduced oxygenation of muscles there is fatigue and similarly because of reduced oxygenation to brain and nervous tissue there is short term memory loss

This will pass off once your HB levels improve

For diverticular disease that bleeds surgery is the only remedy and once fit for it you should get it done

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead