Have distorted vision and migraine aura without headache. Medical test normal. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My vision suddenly became distorted in my right eye, it lasted about 8 minutes and went back to normal afterwards and hasn't happened again in 4 months. I get migraines with auras in both eyes, but this only happened in my right eye and I had no headache. I have been under a lot of stress lately because my mom recently passed away unexpectedly. I went to the dr and he did a neurological exam and said it was completely normal, I also had a visual field test which was normal and had my eyes dilated and they were completely healthy.
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious disease.

The most likely reason for your transient visual symptoms could be an XXXXXXX Visual XXXXXXX can occur on only one side and sometimes, may not be followed by headache.

Sometimes, transient visual symptoms could be due to TIA (transient ischemic attack), due to lack of blood flow to brain for a short time. This occurs in people with risk factors such as diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, smoking, etc.

At present, there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Have distorted vision and migraine aura without headache. Medical test normal. What to do? 2 hours later
It happened again in the same eye two more times, how do they determine if it is just an aura? Thank you!

Thank you for getting back.

Making a diagnosis of XXXXXXX is purely a clinical one, and it is usually diagnosed, once all other causes for your visual symptoms have been excluded.

I note that your detailed eye and neurological examinations have been done, and they are normal.

If your symptoms recur, you may get an MRI and MR angiogram of the brain done to exclude a remote possiblility of other causes (such as lack of blood flow to brain).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)