Have distended, bloated stomach and slightly sore. Started with pain in groin and no blood in stools. Suggest?

stomach is distended and bloated and slightly sore for second day. Symptoms began with pain in left groin area that came and went for about 3 hours and then disappeared. No problem moving bowels or urinating and no blood appears anywhere
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It s reassuring since you got no problems with your bowels or urination. However, it might be necessary to know if this problem is recurrent or not, and if you have ever noticed any blood in your stool. It might be necessary to have a hemocult for occult blood in stool as a routine test or get a colonoscopy doe, especially in case of recurrent bloating or other digestive disorders. this is to rule out any possible tumor of the colon.

The clinical scenario you describe does not look like anything serious. Starting of this pain in the left groin and fading away , without recurrence could be associated to a mild contracting of excess intestinal movement, at the level of the junction between the small intestine and the large intestine (the ileo - caecal valve or Bauhin s sphincter). This possibility is further strengthened in case you experienced any gagging movements during this period.

I honestly think there is nothing serious. In case this has been recurrent, doing colonoscopy, occultblood and stool and a proper clinical review from your family physician is my advice. If not, excess contraction at ileo caecal junction, which is a common phenomenon, should be the most probable explanation.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you good health. Feel asking asking further questions if need be.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.